Q: Are you considering cosmetic surgery?
If so, the most important factor in determining a positive outcome to your procedure is selecting a highly qualified surgeon.
The best place to start the process is through a referral. Good sources of referrals include:
- Your doctor
- Friends who have had a successful cosmetic surgery
- Surgical societies including the ASPS or ASAPS
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
Before deciding on cosmetic surgery and the surgeon who will perform it:
- Call several surgeons and talk with their staff
- Ask for written information about the doctor
- Check for American Board of Plastic Surgery certification. This ensures:
- The surgeon has completed an approved surgical residency of 3 years
- An approved plastic surgery residency of 2 – 3 years
- The surgeon has been a practicing plastic surgeon for 2 years, and passed a rigorous set of exams
- Check for membership in the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), or the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
- Check the surgeon’s hospital affiliations
If you decide on a consultation, make sure that the surgeon explains the procedure, preoperative considerations, postoperative care, possible risks, and any side effects associated with surgery. You should feel comfortable discussing your expectations and all aspects of your surgery.
I am committed to providing honest, straightforward information about how you can look and feel your best by focusing on your overall health and well being.
Contact us if you have further questions on any of the Questions and Answers you see here, or to schedule a consultation.