Tips for preventing dry winter skin
Each year, the winter chill and lack of moisture in the air brings dry, itchy skin.
While you can’t change the weather, you can do a number of things to help with dry skin:
- Seal and moisturize your skin
- Add moisture to the air in your home
- Use an ounce of prevention
Seal Your Skin
Even if the environment in your home is perfect, your skin can still be dry. The solution is simple – rub on some lotion!
- Look for lotions that are “hypoallergenic”
- Start with the heaviest lotion you’re comfortable using
- Prone to acne? Use lotions labeled “non- comedogenic”
Get a Good Humidifier
Without good humidity indoors, dry air sucks moisture from your skin, causing it to feel tight, crack, flake, and itch. Investing in a stand-alone humidifier can spare your skin.
Preventing dry skin is as important as treating it:
- Drink plenty of non-caffeinated fluids
- Instead of licking your lips, use lip balm
- Avoid facial cleansing pads and rinses containing alcohol
- Shave with lotion instead of regular shaving cream
Check out The Adams Center’s store for some of the many great physician developed moisturizers we carry.
Contact us if you have further questions on any of the Questions and Answers you see here, or to schedule a consultation.